The Directorate is charged with the responsibility of providing leadership in the preparation of Kenya Vision 2030 Medium Term Plans and Sector Plans; analyzing macroeconomic variables for preparation of economic reports; providing technical backstopping in the budgeting process within the framework of Macro Working Groups which leads to the production of the Budget Review Outlook Paper (BROP) and Budget Policy Statement (BPS); developing of policies on topical/emerging issues; macroeconomic modelling and forecasting; coordinating regional economic integration and international economic cooperation; providing leadership in the implementation of the TICAD priorities; and liaison with various regional and International economic bodies such as Economic Commission for East Africa, East Africa Community, Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa, Inter-Governmental Authority on Development and the African Union, among others.
The Country has transited from the Millenium Development Goals (MDGs) to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) which came into effected on 1st January, 2016. The DIRECTORATE will be responsible for: mainstreaming the Sustainable Development Goals in Policy, Planning and Budgeting in the National and County Government levels; tracking and reporting on the progress of the Sustainable Development Goals within the existing frameworks of monitoring and evaluation both at National and County levels; undertake intensive capacity building targeting those charged with various roles and responsibilities at National and County Government levels including coordination, planning and budgeting, implementation, statistical capacities, monitoring and evaluation and reporting; spearheading the preparation of the country position papers and any other reports/requirements that may be prescribed in the International, Continental and Regional levels; and spearheading advocacy and awareness creation on SDGs.
The Directorate is responsible for providing leadership in formulation, analysis and implementation of sector policies; Support Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) budget Preparation and promote Performance Based Budgeting; Coordination of National Poverty Reduction; Coordination of Institutionalization of Knowledge Management Africa (KMA); Coordination of Government-UNICEF Programmes; Coordination of the Economic Empowerment Programme (EEP); Policy Impact Assessment through Participatory Poverty Assessment (PPA); Coordination of Development of National Human Development Reports; Provide leadership in fast tracking of the Kenya Vision 2030 MTP Social Pillar Flagship Projects and Other Programmes; Coordination of Strategic Results Area one (Transformative Governance) of United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF); Coordination of Ministerial activities towards upholding National Values and Principles of Good Governance, Cross-cutting issues including Disability Mainstreaming, Drug and Substance Abuse, HIV and AIDS prevention and Gender Mainstreaming.
To be a leader in tracking and providing feedback on implementation of Government Policies, Programmes and Projects for improved performance/results and accountability.
To institutionalize the application and use of monitoring and evaluation at all levels of all sectors for Policy planning, programme implementation and budgeting.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Department is responsible for coordination of the National Integrated Monitoring and Evaluation System (NIMES) at both the national and devolved level. The Department is also responsible for tracking the progress of implementation of the MTPs and Kenya Vision 2030. Specifically the Department is to:
- Strengthen evidence based policy formulation and improve on tracking results;
- Coordination of monitoring and evaluation functions of national and county governments;
- Build adequate Monitoring and Evaluation capacity for both the National and County government to track implementation of Kenya Vision 2030;
- Provide both the National and County governments with policy implementation feedback for efficient resource reallocation over time;
- Provide National and County governments with reliable mechanisms to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of implementation of policies, programmes and projects.
Therefore, the Department coordinates:
- The design and implementation of the government –wide M&E action plan and take an active role in spurring the adoption of M&E by all the MTEF sectors;
- The preparation of Annual Progress Report (APR) on implementation of Medium Term Plans (MTPs) and the Kenya Vision 2030 to assist in sectors reviews;
- The preparation of public Expenditure Review (PER) and linking it with budgeting achievements in the MTEF sectors;
- The development of M&E protocols for horizontal (sector to sector) sharing of knowledge and transfer of data within the government;
- The enforcement of M&E standards;
- The M&E capacity building activities across the sectors;
- Liaising with other organization (academic, international and Non- Governmental organizations) to strengthen the ability of the government to leverage outside resources for M&E activities;
- The evaluation of the impact the national development policies, Programmes and projects;
- The Mid and End-Term review of the MTPs and the Kenya Vision 2030;
- Research on selected topical issues;
- Dissemination of research findings to policy makers.
At the National level, the Department guides the national offices, line ministries, other Government agencies and non-state actors on issues related to the following:
- Qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, archiving and indicator construction of national and ministerial indicators for fast-tracking the implementation of the Kenya Vision 2030 and subsequent Medium Term Plans (MTPs);
- Research and results analysis, including analysis of Ministerial Public Expenditure Reviews (MPERs) and production of the national Public Expenditure Reviews report. It also prepares Annual Progress Reports (APRs) and Public Expenditure Tracking Surveys (PETS);
- Projects Monitoring including the harmonization of projects monitoring standards and updating of the electronic National Integrated Monitoring and Evaluation System (e-NIMES);
- Projects Evaluation including harmonization of projects evaluation standards, planning and participating in all evaluations of flagship projects;
- Dissemination, advocacy and sensitization, to guide the promotion and building of a monitoring and evaluation culture as well as practice at all levels, by publishing and disseminating M&E information;
- Policy Coordination and capacity development that gives guidelines on M&E reporting and identifies M&E capacity requirements in terms of human resource and equipment.
At the County level, guides Monitoring and Evaluation of programmes and projects undertaken through the County Integrated Monitoring and Evaluation System (CIMES) framework that is a replica of NIMES. In particular:
- Guides County and Sub-County officers to undertake devolved level M&E activities; and
- Guides County Monitoring and Evaluation Committees and other Sub-County M&E Committees to produce the quarterly and annual M&E progress reports in addition to mobilizing resources for M&E at this level.
The DIRECTORATE is responsible for Coordination of the Economic Pillar Sectors; Support devolved level development planning through preparation of guidelines for Integrated County Development Planning; Provide technical backstopping to County Governments during preparation of County Integrated Development Plans (CIDP), Annual Development Plans (ADP) and Sectoral Planning; Capacity building of County Planners on Development Planning matters through preparation of training manuals; Coordinate implementation of specific area-based projects and programmes; and Providing secretariat services to the National Government Service Delivery Coordination committees at the County levels – National Government County Planning Offices to be established for this purpose.
- Support devolved level development planning through preparation of guidelines for integrated county development planning.
- Provide technical backstopping to county governments during preparation of County Integrated Development Plans, Annual Development Plans and Sectoral Planning
- Capacity building of county planners on Development Planning matters through preparation of training manuals
- Coordinate implementation of specific area-based projects and programmes
- Providing secretariat services to the National Government Service Delivery Coordination committees at the county level – National Government County Planning Offices to be established for this purpose
- Developed Guidelines for Preparation of County Integrated Development Plans (CIDPs), 2017 (in collaboration with other stakeholders)
- Developed Guidelines for Preparation of County Annual Development Plans (ADPs) (in collaboration with other stakeholders)
- Provided technical support to counties on development planning (based on demand)
- Prepared County Development Planning Manuals in collaboration with the Kenya School of Government
- Coordinating the Planning and M&E component of the Kenya Devolution Support Programme
- Successfully implemented the Community Empowerment and Institutional Support Project, which was a joint initiative of the Government of Kenya and ADB, whose objectives were strengthening decentralised planning and finance and strengthening the capacity of grass root communities to better participate in the development process.
The ISTI Directorate is responsible for coordinating the Policy formulation and Planning aspects of the enablers of the Kenya Vision 2030 which include Transport Infrastructure and Services (roads, ports, air transport, railways and inland waterways); Energy, Urban Development; Public Works; Science, Technology and Innovations; and Information and Communication and Technology (ICT) in conjunction with line Ministries and stakeholders. It co-convenes the Education; Energy, Infrastructure and ICT Sector Working Groups for the MTEF Budget.
The Directorate is also responsible for guiding and monitoring the implementation of Service Delivery Innovations in the Ministry. It is also responsible for creating, updating and disseminating a database of innovations in Kenya and conducting research in Infrastructure, Science, Technology and Innovations related topics.
The Directorate is responsible for providing policy guidance, Formulating and coordinating Integrated Regional Development Policy and Strategies; coordinating issues related to regional/international protocols; agreements and conventions in liaison with other Ministries/stakeholders; coordinating regional Development Projects and Programs; enhancing linkage with Development partners, public/private sector institutions and other stakeholders; interpreting and application of the RDAs Acts and related statute in line with the Ministry’s goals and objectives, and facilitating resource mobilization in RDAs, capacity building and support as well as oversight, management and development support for the RDAs in order to promote balanced regional development through the implementation of integrated basin-based development programs within their areas of jurisdiction.